Tuesday 8 February 2011

Thought of You

My friend Ash Bonner found this animation online, It is called "Thought of you" by Ryan Woodward. Im not sure if it is a good thing for me to have come across his work right now having decided that dance was a possible avenue for me to explore, given the methods that I wanted to use (which appear to be very similar to what Ryan has done here) it raises the question, what would be the point of me doing this if it has allready been done?

This has made matters difficult for me, not only has something similar to what I want to do been done, but it has been done so amazingly well, I need to figure out what I could do differently. To begin with I must recognize that there are 3 key elements that are different with what I want to achieve. My line work will be very different as I still intend to use a very free method of drawing by not observing the page, second of all I may be using video footage of the dancers and using image tracking and match moving to add my animation to the footage. Finlay my approach to narrative will be a little different, his narrative seems to be about love and a loose interpretation of "the complexities of intimate relationships". This initially touched upon what I wanted to express as it is a universal way of expressing the high points of your existence that I believe many people could relate or aspire to. So now I feel I will have to lean away from it somewhat, I had already been thinking that I may need to do this but now I feel it is necessary in order to make my work stand on its own. The key themes that I have been gravitating towards were the high pints of life, or how they feel when you feel truly alive such as escaping from your limitations, being on edge and constantly excited and feeling of quickening!
Something along those lines anyways as I still struggle to express what it is.

The final difference I have highlighted draws attention to what is (to me) the most interesting elemental ideas in Ryan's work. The way in which he adds to the dancers performance with elements such as wind (woman turning into flowing wisps) watery (her collapsing into a puddle) fire (silhouetted on the mans legs) and particularly the three that excite me the most, the surge of electricity between there hands, the bubbles of light and the most powerful being the woman exploding. I think these are excellent at expressing the allmost inexpressible feelings contained within the characters. This comes together through the excellent dance choreography to express and these emotions and the sense of a relationship. I feel that these elements added at the end of the expressions work to heighten them. I feel I will have to look again at the use of these and how I could create a similar form of expression (whilst staying original). I think I could write an essay on this piece of work.


I also like the simple format the animation is presented in, on a 2D stage, also the soundtrack and use of two dancers, but I may need take a different approach rather than sticking with what I have in my mind now.

Here is his YouTube Profile and in addition his own site where a greater variety of his work including his story board work and his illustrations. The official site for Thought of you features a preview of the making of which is quite insightful. Similar information and visuals can be found here in blog form.

Bellow is the Animation and here is the making of preview. It is important to view this as I intended to approach a dance school (or many) and form a collaboration.


No comments: