Monday 16 August 2010

Great Animation Challenge

Here is a link to the great animation challenge and here is another to the audio tracks that can be downloaded as inspiration for creating an animation to enter into the challenge.

I will use this a s a good opportunity to post links to the animations I saw at Flip Festival (where I heard about the "Great Animation Challenge", I found all of these quite entertaining.

First "Black Dogs Progress" by Steve Irwin (this ones a bit disturbing) It was awarded best in the UK at Flip Festival. Check out his blog here.



Next was "The Terrible Thing Of Alpha 9" by Jake Armstrong, which was sweet and funny (had a nice Jamie Hewlett style... sorry if that detracts from this work in Anny way) This was awarded best international film.



The Best Experimental Film was won by Virginia Mori with "Play of Silence" another strange one, even has a few moments that made my skin crawl (worth while just for those moments) if not for the intrigue created by the film as a whole. I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about the animator at a quick glance.. shame.



Best Newcomer was taken by Rabbit Punch, directed by Kristian Andrews. Love the Audio and the visual style. (Random Opinion)



Next is Best of Festival, Which I kinda disagree with, technically the most impressive and I'm sure it does have a soul to it, but compared to some of the raw energy of the others I find it a little lacking and think it runs for to long. "Kudan" by Taku Kimura.



Best Stop Motion was taken by Bang Yao Lui with "Deadline", also check out his making of here.



And Finlay the Special Jury mention went to "Man Up" by Ed Barrett which might actually be my favorite. I couldn't find the whole film as the rights are held by the royal college of art :( sorry peeps.

No comments: